Experience the Enchantment of Lights and Festivities Across the State
The most wonderful time of the year has arrived in North Dakota, transforming the state into a winter wonderland of festive cheer. From charming small-town celebrations to picturesque snowy landscapes, North Dakota invites you to create legendary holiday memories. Here’s your guide to the enchanting holiday season happenings across the state.
- Lights on Shriner Hill, Jamestown: A Dazzling Spectacle
Kickstarting the holiday season on Friday, November 24, Lights on Shriner Hill in Jamestown promises a magical experience. From 5 p.m. until midnight daily, witness over 100 lit trees along Highway 281. Don’t miss the captivating display of 30,000 lights, turning Mill Hill into the enchanting “Shriner Hill.”
- Dickens Village Festival, Garrison: A Christmas Capital Extravaganza
Garrison, the official Christmas capital of North Dakota, beckons you to its 30th annual Dickens Village Festival. Taking place on weekends from November 24 to December 9, the festival offers a delightful blend of holiday splendor. Enjoy live entertainment, a Fruitcake Toss, craft vendor shows, a lighted Main Street parade, and a heartwarming production of “A Christmas Carol.”
- Mandan Lights on Main: Immersive Holiday Cheer
Returning for its second year, Mandan Lights on Main transforms Dykshoorn Park into a festive haven. Starting Saturday, November 25, at 6 p.m., the lighting ceremony marks the beginning of this free event open every evening from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. until Saturday, January 6, 2024. Dive into the holiday spirit with larger-than-life displays and a friendly tree decorating competition.
- Xcel Holiday Lights Parade and Winterfest, Fargo: A Magical Tradition
On Saturday, December 2, 2023, downtown Fargo comes alive with the Xcel Holiday Lights Parade and Winterfest. Join thousands in a magical evening featuring dazzling parade floats, marching bands, equestrian entries, and more. Warm treats, ice skating, and gift donations add to the festive atmosphere, making it a tradition for families across Fargo, Moorhead, and West Fargo.
Other Noteworthy Celebrations
- 30th Annual Parade of Lights and Walk-A-Bout, New Town: A full day of holiday cheer on December 2, 2023, with events for the whole family, including a Christmas Cultural Craft Fair and a Parade of Lights.
- Old Fashioned Cowboy Christmas, Medora: From December 8 to December 10, Medora hosts a western Christmas celebration with decorations, eats on the streets, shopping, and live music featuring The Waddington Brothers.
- Christmas at the Zoo, Minot: On December 10, enjoy a festive family-friendly day at the Roosevelt Park Zoo with a holiday hayride, photos with Santa, and delicious treats.
Unique North Dakota Gifts
Enhance your holiday gift-giving with handcrafted treasures from North Dakota. Consider Prairie Fire Pottery’s vivid and complex pottery, Knoephla Dumpling Mix for a taste of traditional German soup, or indulge in Widman’s famous chocolate-covered potato chips, a true North Dakota delicacy.
As you unwrap these legendary gifts, North Dakota invites you to discover the joy and magic of the holiday season. For more holiday happenings and local gift ideas, visit North Dakota Tourism.